How do I file a criminal complaint?

Complaints can be made by telephone 24 hours a day by calling (517) 627-2115. If you have an emergency, dial 9-1-1. The police will be dispatched to your location. You may also file a complaint in person at the Police Department, 310 Greenwood in the Greenwood Municipal Building. Depending on the nature of the complaint an officer may have to be called in off of the road to help you. During non-business hours when you call the police department your call will be transferred to Eaton County Central Dispatch and they will contact an officer to assist you.

Can I park my vehicle on the street overnight?
Coming into the city there are signs posted on all major roads informing residents and visitors that no parking is allowed on city streets or in city parking lots between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. This is to assist the various municipal departments in snowplowing, street sweeping, and other maintenance chores. Permission to park between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. is granted by the Police Department on a case by case basis. You can find other parking violations listed on the city’s website – see
Chapter 205, Article III, section 18

How can I get Permission To Park overnight?
If you need to leave a vehicle on a street or in a city parking lot overnight, contact the Grand Ledge Police Department at (517) 627-2115 and explain your situation. Depending on the current weather, maintenance schedules, or construction, an officer may be able to give you permission to park overnight for a limited time.

Where can I pay my parking ticket?
You may pay for a parking ticket in person at the Police Department or mail a check made payable to the City of Grand Ledge for the appropriate fee as listed on the back of the ticket. Please mail the fine to the Grand Ledge Police Department, 310 Greenwood, Grand Ledge, MI 48837. Police Department office hours are 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday.

What are the Noise Ordinances in Grand Ledge?
Chapter 148, Article VI, section 14

  • The first three sections of this ordinance deal with specific acts that are prohibited. Listed below is a summary of those sections. If you believe that a section of this ordinance is being violated, contact the police department.
  • Section B No person shall willfully act in an obscene, disorderly, or riotous manner in a public place so that his conduct is observed by another person and disturbs the peace, good order, health, or safety of the other person.
  • Section C No person shall create, assist in creating, permit, continue, or permit the continuance of any unreasonably loud, disturbing, unusual, or unnecessary noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace, or safety of others within the City of Grand Ledge. Each of the following acts is hereby declared unlawful and prohibited, but this enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, namely:
  • Section C has 13 subsections that describe examples of such behavior but do not limit illegal actions to only those described. They include any of the following that makes noise as described above:

        The playing of any radio or musical instrument
        The keeping of any animal or bird
        Exhaust from a machine
        Loading operations of a vehicle
        Yelling, shouting, or whistling by curfew violators
        Musical instruments for the purpose of any show
        Mechanical loudspeakers from a motor vehicle
        Blowing of a steam whistle
        Construction noise between 8 pm and 6 am
        Business noise in a residential area between 10 pm and 6 am
        Firearms or other combustible noisemakers
        Practicing of musical groups

How can I start a Neighborhood Watch?
Please call the Police Department at 627-2115. An officer will personally help get you started. Neighborhood Watch Programs are a nationally recognized and effective way to reduce crime in your neighborhood.

What is a Personal Protection Order and how do I get one?
A personal protection order (PPO) is a court order that can be obtained from a judge. It is available to you if you have suffered or fear abuse related to family violence, dating violence, or stalking. A PPO can provide you with a court order for the abuser to stop the abuse; court order for the abuser to be removed from the home for a specified number of days; a court order forbidding contact between the abuser and the victim. In order to obtain a PPO, you must go to the Eaton County Circuit Court located on the 2nd floor of the Eaton County Court House, 1045 Independence Blvd., Charlotte, MI 48813 (517) 485-6444 x255. Click here for directions.

-If you have been a victim of abuse and do not know what steps to take, start by getting yourself to a place of safety and calling the police. We can help with information and other assistance.

Learn more about Domestic Violence
Learn more about Personal Protection Orders (including how to serve a PPO and when it takes effect).

If I go on vacation, will the Police check on my house and property?
Yes! The Grand Ledge Police Department is proud to provide this service to its residents. Please call the Police Department during business hours 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday at 627-2115. We can best serve you if you provide the following information:

  • Your name, address, and a telephone number where we may contact you.
  • The time you will be away from your home.
  • Who should be at your home when you are gone.
  • What cars may be there.
  • Will there be lights left on and is the house alarmed. Will someone be watching your house? If yes, do they have a key and how do we contact them. Or send us an email with “Vacation Check” in the subject line. Please include all of the above information. Please let us know when you have returned home.

How can I get a copy of an Accident Report or Criminal Complaint?
You can get a copy of an accident report online here. You will need the date of the accident and the report number. There is a charge for this feature.  You can also get a copy from our office.

For a criminal complaint, you must appear in person at the police department and fill out a Freedom of Information Act request if you are not the victim. There will be a charge for fulfilling the request which will vary depending on what you are requesting and how much administrative work is involved (the minimum charge is $5.00). Some information may be redacted from reports including but not limited to information on juveniles, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth.

My house has been broken into, what do I do?
All burglary complaints are assigned to an officer.  If possible, have a complete list of items missing, including serial numbers and receipts showing the cost of goods.  Provide the officer with the names of possible suspects.  If there is broken glass or other items that have potentially been handled by the perpetrator, do not touch or disturb. Notify the officer of this possible evidence.

Where and when can I have my fingerprints taken?
Fingerprinting is done during regular business hours, 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday. There is a $20.00 administrative fee.  Bring a valid picture I.D.  Child Ident-a-kits are provided for free.

Can I have the police department check someone else’s name to see if they have a record or a warrant?
Absolutely not. Michigan Law strictly prohibits any police department from sharing information obtained from LEIN or the National NCIC computer system with anyone other than law enforcement personnel. The department could be fined or lose its access to violations of these regulations.
-You can perform a record search through the Michigan State Police using
iCHAT (internet Criminal History Access Tool). There is a fee involved.

Can someone answer a question about the status of my case?
To inquire about your case, call our office at (517) 627-2115 or
email the officer who first took the report.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
Yes, but be prepared to prove you have legal possession of the vehicle. Due to the potential for damage to some vehicles, you must sign a waiver of liability relinquishing the officer and/or the police department of any responsibility.
-If a child is locked inside your vehicle, the police department may send a rescue unit to remove the child from the vehicle. Breaking a window may become necessary.

There is an abandoned vehicle in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?
The police department can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area to have the vehicle towed away. The wrecker service will notify the owner once they have determined who that may be.

How do I apply for a position with the Grand Ledge Police Department?
Please refer to our
Employment Information page.

How can I find out if someone is in jail? Can someone in jail have visitors and during what hours?
The Grand Ledge Police Department does not have a jail. To obtain this information you must contact the Eaton County Jail directly at 372-8217.

How do I apply for a CPL permit?
CPL packets are available at the Grand Ledge Police Department free of charge. The packets must be turned to the County Clerk in the county in which you reside. For more information see the
Michigan State Police CPL FAQ webpage.

How do I obtain a purchase permit to buy a handgun?
There is no cost but the form does need to be notarized which we will do for a $10 fee. You will need a valid picture I.D.  There is a written test you will need to take and an application that you will need to fill out.  It usually takes about 15 minutes to complete the paperwork.  A purchase permit is valid for 10 days from the date of issue and must be turned in even if it is not used.  If you have been convicted of a felony or have shown a propensity for violence or assaultive behavior, your permit application may be denied.