Area Services

City and Area Services

City residents have access a variety of services through the City, Eaton and surrounding counties, and the State. If you do not find the service you are looking for or need additional services, please dial 211.

EATRAN rides cost $1.00 - $3.00 each way depending on age, disability, and destination. For more information on purchasing tokens and ride availability, visit the EATRAN website,  

Barry-Eaton District Health Department

The Barry-Eaton District Health Department offers: 

  • Adult/Senior Health
  • Communicable Disease reports
  • Community Health
  • Community Health Date
  • Emergency Preparedness
  • Environmental Health
  • Hazardous Material/Health reports
  • Health Promotion & Statistics
  • Immunization Schedule
  • Infant/Child Health
  • Job Openings
  • Substance Abuse


Capital Area Community Services

The Capital Area Community Services works to eliminate the causes and conditions of poverty in Ingham, Eaton, Clinton and Shiawassee counties.  They offer help with:

  • Utility, shelter and heating assistance
  • Housing placement
  • Home weatherization
  • Foreclosure prevention
  • Emergency and supplemental food assistance
  • Health plan enrollment
  • Income tax preparation
  • Furnace, hot water heater and refrigerator repair and replacement
  • Family stability
  • Head Start preschool program
  • Energy, money management, credit repair, life skills, home owner and home buyer education


Child Abuse Prevention Council of Eaton County

The Child Abuse Prevention Council works to prevent child abuse and neglect through education, collaboration and advocacy.  They raise public awareness about abuse and neglect through child abuse prevention education programs, community events and with the help of area businesses, human services organizations, schools, law enforcement and community members at-large.


Dog Licenses

All Eaton County residents are required to license their dogs four months or older. A current rabies vaccination certificate from a licensed Michigan veterinarian is required in order to license dogs. There is no reciprocity for out of state dog licenses, however, dog licenses from other Michigan counties are recognized.

The City offers dog licenses to all Eaton County residents at City Hall, 310 Greenwood St., from December 1 through February 28.  After February 28, dog licenses are available at Eaton County Animal Control.

Emergency Preparedness Information

City of Grand Ledge Police Department

Eaton County Sheriff Department

Grand Ledge Area Fire Department

Michigan State Police Department

Do 1 Thing - Small steps toward being prepared for an emergency.


Grand Ledge Emergency Assistance Program

The Grand Ledge Emergency Assistance Program was initiated by area clergy in the 1970s to help people through emergencies. The group provide funds to help with utility bills, doctor visits, food and medicine. They also coordinate a yearly effort to deliver Christmas food baskets to the needy. For information, call (517) 627-3256.


Housing Services Mid Michigan 

Housing Services Mid Michigan is a non-profit, grant funded agency which provides homelessness assistance, rental subsidies for people with disabilities, first time home buyer’s down-payment assistance, housing search assistance, extended services case management for the homeless, rental rehabilitation, supportive housing to the chronically homeless, and homelessness prevention services.


Office for Young Children

The Office for Young Children is an early care and education resource and professional development agency that provides free referrals to community agencies, free personal consultation and support services to parents, financial assistance information, training and professional development opportunities, and consultation and support services to child care professionals.


Recycling and Resource Recovery

The Grand Ledge Recycling Center is located on 401 Whitney Street behind Oakwood Cemetery in Grand Ledge. Recycling center is open on Wednesdays from 3:00pm - 7:00pm and Saturdays from 8:00am - 4:00pm. 

The following materials are accepted:

  • #1 PET / PETE – soft drink and water bottles, mouthwash bottles, peanut butter containers, salad dressing and vegetable oil containers, ovenable food trays
  • #2 HDPE – milk jugs, juice bottles, bleach, detergent and household cleaner bottles, shampoo bottles, some trash and shopping bags, motor oil bottles, butter and yogurt tubs, cereal box liners
  • #3 V / PVC – window cleaner and detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, cooking oil bottles, clear food packaging, wire jacketing, medical equipment, siding, windows, piping
  • #7 miscellaneous – three- and five-gallon water bottles, hard / rigid baby bottles, “tamper proof” packaging, sunglasses, DVDs, iPod and computer cases, signs and displays, certain food containers, nylon
  • Brown and clear glass
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Household batteries
  • Junk mail
  • Magazines
  • Newspapers (including inserts)
  • Styrofoam
  • Tin and aluminum cans
  • Used cooking oil

Eaton County Resource Recovery organizes collection events each year to accommodate the proper disposal of wastes such as household hazardous waste, electronics, scrap tires, books and more. Year-round programs include collection points for household batteries, cell phones, mercury thermometers and cooking oil. The Freon Recovery Credit Program and a Medical Sharps Mail-Back Program are also available.



Area senior citizens meet at the Grand Ledge City Hall, 310 Greenwood Street, in Community Room B100, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am - 1:00pm for lunch and for social gatherings. For more information on senior activities, call Jean Tomlinson at (517) 626-6709 or Stanley Baxter at (517) 622-1737.


SIREN/Eaton Shelter

The SIREN/Eaton Shelter promotes the elimination of domestic violence and homelessness by providing temporary housing, support, advocacy, education and information to the Eaton County community. SIREN/Eaton Shelter provides a confidential, 24-hour domestic violence crisis line, emergency shelter and transitional housing, supportive counseling, weekly support/education group for adults and children who have experienced family violence, and information and referrals to needed resources.



The City of Grand Ledge provides water and sanitary sewer service for its residents.  The Utility Billing Department calculates fees based on usage and bills quarterly. 

Following are other utility providers in the City:


    Youth Enrichment Services

    The Youth Enrichment Services (YES) Center offers a variety of programs for youth and familes living in the Grand Ledge community, from an after-school teen drop-in program to a parenting suport workshop for parents of teens, to tutoring and leadership programs.