1) Identify the location of your service line. Identify where your meter is located (typically in the basement) near an exterior wall. The water service line will come through the wall or floor and connect to the meter. NOTE: Some homes or businesses have "pit meters" located in a pit in the yard (front yard usually). Please contact the city at 517-627-2149 if you believe you have a pit meter, do not attempt to self-report.
2) Determine the service line material. Use the following guide to identify the service line material. If the service line pipe is corroded or in otherwise poor condition, only perform the magnet test! Stop by City Hall to pick up a GL magnet!
- Plastic/PVC: Easy to identify, colors may vary, will not attract a magnet.
- Copper: Will not attract a magnet, reveals shiny "new penny" color when scratched.
- Galvanized Steel: Will attract a magnet, reveals silver/white color when scratched.
- Lead: Will not attract a magnet, reveals silver/white color when scratched.
4) Take a photo of the service line - highly recommended (necessary for prize entry/ Click here for exclusions
3) Self-report using one of the following methods.
*Name, service address, type of pipe material required